Overcoming addiction takes more than willpower and just as it takes time to become addicted to drugs or alcohol, recovery is something that has to be worked on for many years after leaving a rehab treatment center. However, the road to recovery often involves challenges and setbacks and no matter how hopeless someone’s situation may seem, the right treatment and support can set them on a firm path towards sobriety.
The difficulties of simply quitting alcohol or drugs stem from the fact that long-term abuse creates changes in the brain causing powerful cravings and strong compulsions to use. Once dependence on a substance has accelerated to become an addiction, it is very difficult for an individual to make a conscious choice to quit. Unfortunately in many cases, the longer someone remains addicted, the less control they have over their ability to stop.
Decide to make a change
The initial step towards seeking help is often the toughest but always the most significant and is usually taken when someone has recognized they have a problem and accepted the need for change. This doesn’t necessarily mean that their resolve is firm because many addicts feel ambivalent about giving up using when they first enter a rehab treatment center. When someone’s life has been dominated by addictive behavior, their perception of a life in sobriety is cloudy, to say the least, and it can be hard for them to imagine coping without drink or drugs.
In essence, committing to sobriety involves making many changes which depend on what substance has been abused and for how long. Someone on prescription drugs will have to find an alternative method of coping with their symptoms and another with mental health issues, for example, will have to learn more positive coping skills to prevent relapse in recovery. Ultimately, everyone is unique when it comes to addiction treatment and will have their own personal set of support needs.
Some of the changes involved in committing to a treatment program include:
- Ways of dealing with stress
- How to form healthier relationships
- What leisure activities to engage in
- Improving self-esteem
- Alternatives to prescription and over-the-counter medications
Although it’s entirely normal to feel conflicted about quitting drink or drugs, even in the face of some harsh realities, it’s important to accept that recovery takes time. Specialist treatment plays an important part in guiding patients through the journey from abstinence to sobriety, at a pace that harmonizes with every individual’s personal circumstances and needs.
Explore Addiction Treatment Options
Once someone has committed themselves to the idea of rehab, it’s the perfect time to take a closer look at treatment choices. Effective programs include several different elements including:
- Detox: The first step in the process is to rid the body of substances, while effectively managing any distressing withdrawal symptoms as and when they present.
- Behavioral Counseling: Individual, group and family therapy allows patients to identify the underlying issues that have led to them becoming addicted and also repair important personal relationships that may have been damaged by destructive behaviors.
- Medication: Used to manage withdrawal symptoms, for relapse prevention or to treat any co-existing mental health issues such as anxiety or depression.
- Alternative or Holistic Therapies: Complementary treatments, when used as an adjunct to traditional methods, provides different routes to recovery and have been proven to result in longer-term sobriety.
- Long-Term Follow-Up: Once a patient has left a facility, it is important that they have access to support as and when they need it. During treatment, patients are able to create a support network they can lean on throughout the recovery years.
Finding the Right Rehab Center in California
The environment is important when it comes to addiction treatment. For many patients, the environment surrounding their addiction can become a comfort zone they are reluctant to leave. Rehabs in California are set in some of the most stunning landscapes in America, where patients get a true sense of being a million miles away from everything related to their addiction. The naturally beautiful surroundings of California rehab centers lend themselves particularly well to experiential addiction treatment like garden therapy and equine-assisted therapy, allowing patients the opportunity to embrace nature in a meaningful way that is an enormous boost to effective recovery as part of a structured program. Location makes a difference when it comes to rehabilitating from prolonged substance abuse, making California rehab an extremely popular choice.